What are Inlays & Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are dental restorations that are used as an alternative to full coverage dental crowns. These dental restorations offer a well-fitting, stronger, longer-lasting reparative solution to tooth decay. Inlays and onlays can also be used in place of dental fillings. While dental fillings are molded into place within the mouth during a single dental visit, inlays and onlays are fabricated in a dental lab before being fitted and bonded to the damaged tooth.
An inlay restoration is when the material is bonded within the center of the tooth. An onlay restoration is similar to an inlay restoration except for the extent of the damage requires the inclusion of one or more cusps (the pointed portion of the tooth on the biting surface) on the tooth. Both inlays and onlays are highly durable and with proper care, can last for many years. Some reasons for needing these restorations include large, failing restorations, lost fillings or fractured cusps.
Benefits of Inlays & Onlays:
There are several advantages and benefits of inlays and onlays including:
- Tooth color – Inlays and onlays are not likely to discolor over time.
- Superior fit – This conservative approach preserves as much healthy tooth as possible.
- Tight space fulfillments – Inlays are best for sealing teeth to keep out bacteria.
- Strength and stability – Inlays and onlays are extremely stable restorative solutions for the treatment of decay.
- Tooth structure safeguard – Since the fit is tailored at all edges and preparation is minimal, your tooth will be easier to clean.
- Weak tooth protector – An onlay can protect the weak areas of the tooth and the procedure does not require the complete reshaping of the tooth.
Preventative Dental Services
Cosmetic Dental Services
See what our patients are saying
"Very pleased with professionalism, friendliness, and quality of services. Equipment is modern. My fears about and dislike of going to the dentist are gone."